Sunday, September 14, 2008

Keeping it Simple and Real, for Real

Simplify, it’s not easy to do.

How many journals can a person have? How many ways do we need today to express our most inner thoughts, the desires of our heart, communicate to the world and our inner self what we want to say. Of course I am speaking of myself---I love to write, to feel the flow of movement and impression as any sort of writing utensil meets imprinting surfaces. When I was younger, my favorite recording surface was “the brown paper bag”, its sublime texture would resonate in gentle scratching rhythms as my pencil moved across the surface. In those days numerous brown bags became scrolls of childhood dreams and created adventures. I documented my Michelangelo styled inventions and designs, in permanence of lead on paper, some neatly chronicled, other’s as random and impromptu doodles. Boy was that ever fun!  But things get lost, and one was my need to record, to document my creativity on paper, it was replaced with “to do” list and notes of urgency for children’s doctor visits, grocery list and dinner menus. It got replaced with being married, becoming a mother, a student, and just trying to make ends meet. Well the children are grown, the husband is older, and I also, and now I blog.

 

I will be honest; this is my second blog---lost the first one because I didn’t blog frequently enough. Over the years I’ve learned to mentally write, no paper used, no resources wasted. I design in my head, whole wardrobes, dolls, and holiday decorations from start to finish, every minute detail. Simple, or so I thought it was, until I’ve noticed of late that I have a hard time being creative “au natural”. Everything’s in my head, where is the joy of sharing and/or reworking an idea---I seem to go from incubation to full birth. Because all the ideas sit in my mind, there is no bragging, or brainstorming with others---it’s like creating in a vacuum, and that’s no fun. So each day I’ve been trying to scribble again on PAPER, and believe me its just random drawing, (Matisse’ started his collages in this manner, when he was sick---just random cut-up bits of colored paper, and we know where that lead too). Slow and easy wins the race they say, and I just want to reconnect with my primitive creative side once again. When did being simple become so complicated?

 

But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.  

1 Peter 5:10 KJV

 

Denise Reed of  “CASEY”…the Original Loc/Braid Hair Snood and “TOPAZ” a new style shower cap, check out the site at www.denisereed.com

And now there are prints, check out the site at:

“CASEY Prints: www.brownbuttons.etsy.com.

 

 

No comments: